Thursday, December 14, 2006

Sweet Release

As Gilbert and Sullivan have so eloquently expressed it, "Blow the trumpets, bang the brasses, tan-tan-ta-ra, zing-boom." *

They're done, they're done, they're done!

I give you, Red Scarf #2 ,














AND Branching Out.
















I'm giddy. I'm euphoric. I'm ( almost) free. Almost, because Branching Out still needs to be blocked. It's soaking as I write. But it's off my needles. Out of my knitting bag. I don't care how grey it is outside. I don't care how noisy the porch- builders are. I don't care that I'm less than half-way through my Christmas shopping. If it weren't for my understanding that straight-jackets are out of fashion I would be running out into the street and accosting total strangers, demanding they exult with me.

The sane and sober part of my brain is murmuring, "Oh for Pete's sake, they're scarves. They're just scarves." But they've been the thorns in my side, the swords dangling over my head until I've felt like poor Damocles, the Nemesises (Nemeses?) that have accompanied me on every yarn store trip, muttering that I have no business buying more yarn while these two were left languishing. And now they're done and they're beautiful and I love them and I want them gone.

So, nitty gritty. In keeping with my resolve to not cheap out for charity, Red Scarf #2 is Mountain Colors 4/8 in Sierra. Not quite two skeins. Size 8 needles of unknown brand. Yarn Harlot's pattern: knit, knit, knit in the back, purl for an eternity plus one. Except for it's lesson in monotony and overcoming same, it's most interesting characteristic is how incredibly handsome it turned out.

Branching Out is Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool in Sweet Green, shade #14, also on unknown brand size 8 needles. BO offered an entirely different set of lessons. Even single repeat lace means attention to detail and an absolute requirement to compulsively check the work - I think I purled through the garter stitch border no less than 4 times. Knitting lace from charts is the only way that makes sense, else expect to be found one day, helpless and gibbering. There's a reason for lifelines and knitting lace without them is like doing a high-wire act without a net. Or even a wet hankie spread on the ground.

Bottom line. I am not a process knitter. If I were I would have abandoned these two long ago and devoted the yarn to some other, more congenial project. On the other hand, product will only get you so far. Do I have any interest , however remote, in making another of either of these?

No.

My sad conclusion is that I am a middle of the road knitter. No big lace project in my future; ribbing in only the most minor of details. I want my pattern stitches to be engaging. Pleasant and interesting company. Not needy and demanding. With sincere apologies to Edna St. Vincent Millay's Goose Girl, I would herewith like to state, "If ever I said, in grief or pride, I tired of garter stitch, I lied."





















But damn, that Red Scarf #2 looks good.

*Iolanthe.

2 comments:

Shelly said...

Hi, I can't remember how I found your blog (no doubt from some other knitting blog) but I have enjoyed reading about your knitting.

I was admiring the red scarf #2 and was about to ask you what the pattern was when you posted the information, so thanks for that. I really like scarves that are reversible.

I also have a branching out in my project list, I hope mine turns out as nice at yours.

Diane H said...

I spent another $50 on yarn last night (it was 50% off!). I would say I am a process knitter. So happy we don't have to read about these scarves any more, I mean - so happy you have accomplished your objective! Knitwerks?