Friday, November 02, 2007

Picking Up Where/What I Left Off/Out

Infinity is in the details, or so I have been told (a misquotation of Le Corbusier and/or Mies van der Rohe I think, but I like it) and today I'm thinking about details.

I don't know why it's so hard for me to remember to include the minutiae about what I'm knitting - you know, what yarn? What needles? What pattern? Where did I find it? I've realised there's a whole raft of projects I've written about without telling you anything. Well, anything that you might want to know should you be feeling inspired to make one of them yourself. This vast desert of un-information stretches all the way back to the Stupid Booties. Clearly, something happened. I refuse to believe my mind ceased to function when the kids started school. It must have been a comet. Or maybe an eclipse. Possibly an alien mind-wipe, although I hope not, since no one seems to have noticed anything different about me.

So, herein and forthwith, although in no order in particular, are The Details.

Those baby booties. It all started in Williamsburg at Knitting Sisters, when we found Lorna's Laces at 40% off. That we travelled to Virginia and bought yarn manufactured in Chicago struck us a silly, but not silly enough to pass up that kind of sale.

Pattern: Christine's Booties, pattern published in Threads, given as a handout from Knitting Sisters and posted at Fuzzy Galore.
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Shepherd's Sock. The colorway is Glenwood. Since I have actually been to Glenwood Springs (
and bought yarn there, now that I think about it), the southwestern feel to the color should not have taken me so by surprise. But it did. I suspect it contributed to my dislike of the poor things. It looked so sweet and pastel-ish in the skein, and came out all brick and adobe in the product.
Needles: Bamboo dpn's. US 2/2.75 mm.


The Scarf That Never Ends was this years offering on the altar of the Red Scarf Project. I don't think I even emailed a picture to Norma this year.

Pattern: Mostly Rowan's Knitting For Him "Striped Scarf."
Yarn: Cascade 220 Superwash in 893 (the red), 890 (the turquoise) 862 (the camel) and 867 (the dark green).
Needles: Addi Turbos, US 9/6.0 mm.
Tweaking: I didn't knit the scarf in two halves, joining them at the back of the neck. I knit it in one piece, mirror imaging the colors. I also didn't knit the 2 halves in the same main color with two different contrast colors for each half. (Go look at the scarf on the
Sulky Rowan Guy and you'll see what I mean).

Which in my stream of consciousness brings us to another scarf that I tweaked: the Huckleberry Scarf. (Edited to add: Better tweaking here.)

Pattern: The huckleberry Scarf, Interweave Knits Holiday 2007.
Yarn: Blue Sky Alpaca in Huckleberry/805.
Needles: Addi Turbo's size US 9/6.0 mm.

It's been long enough. If you want to tell me the better way to pick up 115 stitches in the rows available, you can now.

The Baby Surprise Jacket didn't need tweaking, just me paying attention. Thank heavens for Meg Swanson and the DVD. I would read the instructions and think "It can't possibly mean that" or "It can't possibly be that easy." But it was, every time, it was.

Pattern: Elizabeth Zimmermann's Baby Surprise Jacket.
Yarn: Dale of Norway Baby Ull, machine washable merino, in 007 (the grey) and 4018 (the red),
Needles: Addi Turbos US 6/4.0 mm..

Which in turn brings us back full circle to the Not-Stupid-At-All Formerly-Biker Baby Booties. These are not actually the famous Christine's Baby Booties. Thanks to Google,
WiseNeedle and Woolworks, I found a slightly different version of the pattern here. These were written in a knitting dialect I found easier t follow. I also liked the ribbing at the ankle.

Pattern: Jane's Baby Booties.
Yarn: Dale of Norway Baby Ull, same as BSJ
Needles: Bamboo dpn's US 2/2.75
Tweaking: See yesterday's post.

I must remember to not neglect the details ever again. Writing about them has certainly felt like infinity. Did I miss anything?

No comments: