Thursday, May 15, 2008

Getting There From Here

I couldn't do it. I just couldn't pull it off. The instructions want me to pfb, then purl into the vertical strand running beneath the "stitch just made." I could swear that's exactly what I did. Repeatedly. On both swatch and actual piece. The problem came in the next row, where I had to fit 2 M1s in among those 3 purl stitches. No amount of contortionist knitting on my part could get that needle into what I thought I was supposed to be knitting into. Let's not even go into my complete and utter bafflement at trying to figure out what constituted the bar I was supposed to lift up to make either of those M1s.

I Googled. I Raveled. I Knittinghelp.commed. I gave up. I Pfbf.

I suspect this will come back to bite me. It may have done so already. I'm fearful that the reason the knitting puckers right at the start of the cables is because I couldn't figure out how to execute the correct purled double increase on the wrong side. That would be the set of stitches that establishes the cable, which strikes me as a rather crucial place to get things right.

I'll keep at it, for the next project if nothing else. I'm sure I'll get it. Eventually. Right after I learn how to get to Grand Rapids from Chicago as the crow flies without a boat.

1 comment:

jknitsmith said...

Oo, oo, I just did this on the Durrow sweater. Took me a while to figure out, but after you've finished the stitch, if you pull down on the fabric a little, you will see a vertical line of yarn running below them. (I'll try to take a picture later).