Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Knitting in the Midwest

Exciting times here. First of all, though, let me state that, despite the following evidence, XRX is not paying me anything. It's just that Clare and I spent the morning poring over the Stitches Midwest 2007 brochure. This is all Diane's fault. She introduced me to Stitches last year.


In the heat of our enthusiasm, we've even registered. Sweet angels of mercy, $140.00 for 6 hours, with the Early Bird Discount. Admittedly, the rush to register was, in part, reinforced when we saw how many classes were already sold out - including most of our second and third choices.

So, if we get the classes we want, Saturday we will go our separate ways (very important precept for mothers of adult daughters - they'll be fine out of your sight). She, as the more adventurous knitter, has Design Your Dream Sweater on Saturday morning. I, in my desire to take a class - any class - from Susanna Hansson (she of Bohus Stickning fame) have signed up for Off the Cuff: Beaded Wrist Warmers, on Saturday afternoon. This offers the opportunity for solo shopping. I won't have to explain, rationalize or justify, and neither will she. Sunday morning we'll share, both in the Joy of Finishing and in tandem shopping (translation: I'll pay for what she chooses. After all, she's a college student.)

As if all this weren't enough, the Windy City Knitting Guild sent off an email yesterday:

"FROM: Nina L. Savar
President, Windy City Knitting Guild
Chicago, Illinois, USA
nsavar@smith.alumnae.net
www.windycityknittingguild.com
--and--
Brooke Prewitt Vane
Chicago Office of Tourism Public Relations
312.742.4983 (phone)
312.744.2359 (fax)
Brooke.Vane@cityofchicago.org

Hello all!

I am pleased to inform you that the Stitching Salon will be featured on "Chicago Tonight" tomorrow night (Wednesday) as part of a story on knitting. The program begins at 7:00 and will feature interviews from our own Penny Brown as well as Stitching Salon representative Cameron Lane and Windy City Knitting Guild President Nina Savar. Please forward this message on to any interested parties.

Thanks!"


Further scoop from Diane is that Loopy Yarns will be featured as well.

I tell you, this is a good time to be a knitter in the Midwest.

P.S. In rereading this, I can't help but note the dearth of knitting pictures. I persuaded Clare to make a guest appearance in the Perfect Sweater.

She agreed only if I promised to cut off her head. I suppose that makes me the Queen of Hearts (speaking of axes).

2 comments:

Diane H said...

I was shocked to see that the Twined Mittens class is sold-out already, after checking in on it only 2 times. I just don't know if there is a second choice for me.

To help console me, Yarn Harlot on 4/3 and Amy Singer on 4/4, another good reason to be a knitter in the Midwest.

The sweater looks, well, perfect!

Anonymous said...

Have fun at Stitches! I hit the market the last year it was here in the Twin Cities and it was great. I hope you get into some good classes!