Friday, January 30, 2009

Something Green

We are well and truly hunkered down for winter here. If the skies are clear, the windchill factor is (appallingly) too many degrees below zero. If it warms up, it clouds over or -- worse -- snows again. Knitting weather. Cabin fever weather. Afghan weather. More accurately, perhaps need-to-knit-afghans weather. I therefore, most contrarily, don't want to.

All of which is why the mailing from the 7 Deadly S(p)ins Club was so welcome. For one thing, it's not an afghan. Even better, it's green.

The yarn is Unique Sheep House Blend, a DK weight merino/alpaca/silk blend. The colorway? Envy (which only I -- and the mumblty-teen other club members -- can get for the next six months or so).

The treats are exciting (I do love a box with treats). This is a beaded project, but it uses a different beading technique than the one I learned in Susanna Hanson's beaded wrist cuff class back at Stitches Midwest a couple years ago. Instead of stringing on the number of required beads at the start of the project, you use the tiny crochet hook to hook the individual knit stitch through the bead as you go.

The last bits of green are a little bit of Soak in Aquae (to help block the mitts, yes?) and a bottle of hand lotion (which I desperately need in these dry radiator days).

The pattern is called the Flower of Envy by Sivia Harding. It's for my most favorite type of small project - fingerless gloves. The only thing that's keeping me from casting on is the lack of US 4/3.5 DPN's.

This is the last shipment from this club. I have to admit to the addiction though. In other words, yes, Diane, I've joined another one. I may join a second. More on that, though, another day.

No comments: