Thursday, January 17, 2008

How Did I Get Here?

I have completely lost my place on the moral high ground; down the slippery slope and I don't even know when it happened. All I know is, I have fallen and can no longer hide from the fact.

Yesterday, in order to get the pictures I wanted of John's sweater, I had to hunt. I don't know why one sleeve and most of the yarn had decided to go AWOL, but AWOL it/they was/were. While I was tearing up the stash, it occurred to me that I, in keeping with a vague and undeclared New Year resolution to do "something" about my yarn, had picked up 4 collapsible canvas boxes from JoAnn Fabrics. I could de-collapse those 4 collapsible boxes and, instead of flinging yarn hither and thither and willy or nilly, I could put some of it, I don't know, away?

I was thinking I could set up a box for the Dream In Color yarns. And then one for Lorna's Laces. Both had accumulated alarmingly during the search for afghan quantities of washable wool yarn. I could use one for the Fleece Artist yarns purchased in moments when I willingly and smilingly succumbed to the lure of eBay. That would leave one for the odd-but-beautifuls, like the Schaefer Anne I bought in New Hampshire before I processed what sock yarn really is.

Or the skein of Briar Rose Fourth of July I ordered after I had seen their booth at the Midwest Fiber and Folk Art Fair.

And the Cherry Tree Hill Twister.

Let it be noted that I have no spatial sense. Those IQ things we had to take as kids? The ones where you looked at the outline of a disassembled, flattened box and had to figure out what shape it would make up into? I had to think way too hard before I got those. I wouldn't know how to estimate a yard to save my life if I didn't know the nose to fingertip trick. All of which means I thought the dimensions listed on the package would make up into bigger boxes than they did.

What, you may be wondering, has that to do with the loss of high ground and some odd skeins of yarn?

I'm going to have to go back to JoAnn.

1 comment:

Diane H said...

You have tribbles! Yarn multiplies!