Wednesday, January 30, 2008

"Eternity is Really Long"*

Also a ham and two people. And yes, I know that has nothing to do with knitting. I just like it. What would this blog be without the occasional non sequitur?

My non-knitting life has been impinging on my knitting life lately. Someday I will wax eloquent about my feelings for anything that requires a drill, varnish and sandpaper. For the nonce, all I'll say is - anything requiring a hinge should come with pre-drilled holes.

So, what do I have to show you? Not much. The 7 Deadly S(p)ins doesn't start until March (I'm calling it a birthday present).

The yarn is beautiful (China Apple in Classy from Dream in Color). The quantity sufficient to make pretty much anything I could think of. But there's the rub; inspiration is lacking. (Hence the club thing, but it doesn't start until March. Right.)

The sleeves on the Seamless Hybrid Sweater? Well, yes, insofar as I've been knitting, I've been knitting them.

That problem with the increases? Turns out, despite my notes on the pattern page and the evidence of my own eyes, I was persistently doing them backward - M1L where I should have been doing a M1R and vice-versa. My initial solutions all involved shifting where I placed the increases. Which is why, no matter where I put them, they always looked wrong. Because they always were.

With that resolved, I am now pondering the fact that I am deliberately knitting a sweater to not fit the recipient. The reverse side of the nightmare where I knit for all eternity in Cascade 220 Olympic Rainforest is that I make the sweater in such proportions that it will accommodate one of my 6 ft. plus/200 lb. brothers. Possibly all of them. At the same time. This will give John approximately 40 years before he could reasonably expect the sweater to fit.

Not quite an eternity, but long enough.

*Woody Allen, who goes on to say, " . . . especially near the end."

No comments: