Thursday, November 16, 2006

Object Lesson

It's good to know one's place in life. Mine is clearly to be the "there" in "there but for the grace of God go I."

Okay, we're back to the Doctor's Bag. Sorry. I know I said I was tired of obsessing over it. But it seemed the surest way to get over it was to finished the dratted thing.

I figured out (with the help of Knittinghelp.com) that when the authors' said "pick up and knit" they did, in fact, mean what I mean when I say "pick up a stitch." They like the process, I like the result. To-may-to, to-mah-to.

I picked up my stitches, but kept having too many left over at the end. I pulled them out, picked up again. Several times. I finally got the right number of stitches on my needle, did my three needle bind-off, and said "A-hah!"

See this bulge/dent thing?













Clearly, the instructions were wrong! Vindicated!

Except. Remember the part that's supposed to go over the wooden rods? One for the front and one for the back?













As the old Sesame Street song says, "Something's miss-ing." It is, of course, at the beginning.

I'm going to go join the other side. Then I'm going to figure out a way to undo three-needle-bind-off from the beginning, and then redo it. I think it's called frogging.

No comments: