Friday, August 08, 2008

Not Quite an Olympian

Now that I've said it, I sort of feel I ought to do something about it. I am thinking about that newest a4A campaign, the campaign for youth. That's the one that calls for sweaters and such for children (as opposed to babies, toddlers and/or adults). The one for which I'm too late for the Ravelympics Team. I'm not yet ready to give up the not-quite-Marco-blue sweater, but I kind of need something to keep my hands busy while I ponder shades of blue again.

Besides, despite String Theory's efforts on my behalf, I still have all this yarn.

This specifically: discontinued Cherry Tree Hill Twister. Both skeins purport to be of the "Earth" colorway. Right. I can't get more, so I have no hope of ever matching either of them. I have never been able to figure out a non-scarf project for these, which is why they almost made it to the String Theory pile. In fact, I'm not sure why I held them back. Then, earlier today, I paged through the Campaign for Youth thread in Fans for Afghans on Ravelry. One of the knitters mentioned the Orphans for Orphans sweater in Knitting For Peace. I own Knitting For Peace. My sister gave it to me for Christmas a couple of years ago, and I have yet to realize my ambition to knit something from it.

Do you notice things coming together here? Factor in my compulsion to not cheap out for charity. I think this is the perfect project for these two oddly related skeins of yarn.

The sweater is made with a front and back panel. Once these are complete you pick up stitches and knit the sides and sleeves. My thought is, I can use one skein (probably the more colorful one) for the panels and the other (the more earthly colored one) for the sides. I might even be able to make another one with the colors reversed.

Late off the dime? Yeah, kinda. A day late and a dollar short, at least for the Ravelympic group? Definitely. Maybe I'll try to finish before the Olympics, anyway.

No comments: