Thursday, April 30, 2009

Clearing the Decks

My Dad served in the Navy during WWII. I suppose it was inevitable that the occasional naval catch-phrase should find its way into my vocabulary. "Clear the decks" was what you did to prepare for battle.

My adversary? The gansey sweater. Well, that and two graduations, but it's the knitting you all want to hear about, right?

That which needs clearing? Two projects. Once they're done, I can ship them off to Afghans for Afghans.

The green blanket. Allowing for the roll-under stockinette borders along the sides, it looks like it will block out at 40 inches wide. According the the a4A guidelines, it should then be 45 inches long. I need 6 more inches, including a 7 row stockinette border finished off with 2 rows of garter stitch. This is not a problem. I love the green blanket. On days like today, when the cloud cover is so thick it looks like twilight in here, the green blanket is an especially welcome and cheering companion, calling forth recognition and recollection of all the new leaves budding on all the trees up and down my neighborhood.

The yellow sock. Ick. I have to find the needles. For that matter, I have to remember what size; was it US 2 or 3? I have to find the yarn. I have to remember which pattern I used. I have to find the online video for the twisted continental long-tail whatever cast-on that I opted for based on Diane's recommendation when I complained that I thought the cast on for the blue socks wasn't as stretchy as I wanted. (Yes, I know that was a run-on sentence. I did it on purpose. It gives dramatic emphasis to my extreme and signal distaste for sock knitting.)

Guess which one I'll be working on today.

1 comment:

MontanaHooker23 said...

I just came across this pattern as I was searching for *something* to do with some Knit Picks Brava.... this blanket really comes alive in such interesting ways with the insane number of shades of green! I've started a scarf in this pattern, to give me a feel for the flow (something I do with intimidating or odd patterns). I can't get the loft and stitch definition like you have, probably because of the yarn, but I'll keep at it.
Well done!