Monday, July 15, 2019

Knit Faster

Still catching up to myself.  Pretend I remembered to publish on time this time. That or pretend you're time-traveling and it's really 7/13.

I had a plan for this shawl.  A little flying by the eat of my pants, perhaps, but still a pretty realistic, or at least simple, plan.  I have 4 skeins in what back then (sometime in 2007) was called a gradient set - Unique Sheep Luxe in Pride 1,2,3, and 4 - purchased from Eat.Sleep.Knit. as part of the long defunct 7 Deadly Spins Club.  Starting with the orange-est, the idea is (was) to knit through a skein, magic knotting it to the next skein until I finished. 

I thought I was being a smart knitter.  I noticed that the beginning of the shawl increased and the end of the shawl decreased. So I marked where the transition between the "increase section" and the "knitting even section" and where the first skein actually ended. Turned out, the marking wasn't so helpful. 

Weighing the skein after only one row of working even (which frankly was only a bit of knitting paranoia) was. Or so I thought.

I knit blithely then through the rest of the first skein and the next two.  The knitting was fast and fun.  The color changes were a little more clearly defined than I had hoped, but so it goes.  I started the 4th skein and knit happily through I forget how many repeats and then thought I had, perhaps, better weigh it. It was a little underweight, but that was all right becasue I had only just started a repeat and could tink back a few rows.  No big deal. So I did and then reweighed the skein.  Still a gram or so light, but I didn't want to give up the length I would lose if I frogged a full repeat.

That was then. Now I'm nervous.  I've got at least 20, maybe 25 rows to go.  I know I'm decreasing all the way, but only a single stitch each row and I'm having serious doubts about whether I'm going to make it.


Good thing this shawl is a fast knit.

No comments: