Monday, August 08, 2011

It Was a Dark and Stormy . . .*

. . . Spring.  And early summer.  So I left it all behind to go to Arizona, where dark and stormy are so far removed from reality that the words may as well not be in the  dictionary.

Arizona is interesting.  Did you know that in late June in Arizona, if you want to let your host's dog out into the (astro-turf) yard for a morning run, you need to wear shoes because the pavement and fake grass are too hot to walk on without risking injury?

Did you know that in Arizona, Saguaro cacti substitute for trees for bird's nests?


Did you know there is a cactus called Grandfather's Hair?


Did you know there is an awesome yarn shop called Knit Happens?

I got souvenirs.

The yarn is not local (it's Malabrigo sock in Arbol to feed my shawl obsession) (I thought it looked desert-y) but the stitch markers are.  Somewhere there's a little white organdy drawstring bag with the rest of them.

I tried to blog about all this while I was out there.  I just couldn't figure out how to get any pictures off my camera and onto the dinky notebook thing I'd brought along on the trip - no cord and I couldn't find a port for the camera's memory card.


Finally, let me just say in words of (mostly) one syllable,  I don't care how dry the heat is, once the temperature is over 115 degrees F, it's too damn hot.

*Second in what I hope will be a series of getting you all caught up on the last 2 months.

No comments: