Friday, March 19, 2010

Into Intarsia

You know what? I never told you about my Stitches class.

It's going to take a couple of posts. To begin, as sort of back-story, let's review my attitude toward two-color knitting. While I remember that I liked it while I was doing it, the fact remains that one of the longest running UFO's in my knitting repertoire are Eunny Jang's Endpaper Mitts, dating back to when See Eunny Knit was an active blog and last mentioned in this blog here.

Second, how about my expressed attitude toward argyle? (Read the comments, too.) Not promising, is it?

Lastly, I associate intarsia with Annie's Attic, Herschnerr's and acrylic, which conspire to foist truly hideous sweater's on children. Kay says it so much better than I, so let me quote from MDK2: "Intarsia is a big offender, and not just because it so often portrays our animal friends. . . . . I can hear you saying, 'But what about knitting a groovy catch phrase . . . - wouldn't that be super?' NO. That would not be super. Stop it RIGHT NOW."

Why then, did I take a class in it? Not because it was the only thing available. I registered early enough to get the early bird discount.

I took it so I could learn to knit argyle.

Excuse me. What was that?

I said, "I took it so I could learn to knit argyle."

I'm sorry, I still can't hear you.

Okay, fine! I said, "I TOOK IT SO I COULD LEARN TO KNIT ARGYLE."

There, was that loud enough for you?

2 comments:

Diane H said...

Knit to type, baby, knit to type.

Love, Cate said...

Since I missed wishing you a Happy Birthday yesterday I have the pleasure of wishing you a Very Merry UnBirthday!!! Hurray for you, now reward yourself by knitting something really fabulous that you have to tear your fingers from