Monday, March 17, 2008

Inundated. A photo essay with commentary

Sweet angels of mercy. Post once to the Zimmermaniacs and they arrive in droves (well, compared to the traffic this blog usually generates). I'm all for pandering to the audience's interests. How about some more pictures? I took these to help me through the next sweater, but maybe they would be helpful to someone else?

The first saddle completed and half the stitches bound off, ready to continue on with the shirt-yoke.

Since I cast on 220 stitches, I ended up with 37 stitches across the saddle. I bound off 18 and knit on the remaining 19. The theory was based on Knitting Workshop for the percentages (cast off 50%) and Knitting Without Tears for the method. In KWT Elizabeth, working with a 200 stitch cast on, ended up with 33 stitches, bound off 16 and knit across the remaining 17. I followed the principle, if not the actual numbers.

The completed shirt-yoke.

I know, I know. I'm tragically stitch marker dependent. The round ones help me keep my count straight. The over-designed safety pin type marked where I needed to stop knitting each part of the yoke, two each (one for the front and one for the back) for the first saddle, the yoke itself and the second saddle.

The view from my needles with the 2nd saddle completed. The cable from my circulars served as a holder for the stitches destined to form the front of the neckline while I worked back and forth on the saddles and the yoke with the needles proper.

The stitches lined up on my needles ready for grafting. Right before I decided to throw caution to the winds, trust Elizabeth and the stickiness of Cascade 220, and take the needles out to weave the live stitches.

Is that enough? I probably have more.

I just realized, given the color of the sweater, this makes a most appropriate post for St. Patrick's Day. In the spirit thereof let me say, "May those who love us, love us. And those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts. And if he can't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles, and we'll know them by their limping."

No comments: