Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Epilogue

" 'Sisyphus, Sisyphus,' hissed the snake,
'Sibilant, syllabub,
Syllable-loo-ba-lay.
Scylla and Charybdis
Sumac, asphodel,
How do you spell Success?
With an S-S-S!' " *


Details, details.

Pattern: Orphans fro Orphans Sweater from Knitting for Peace.

Yarn: Malabrigo Bulky in Velvet grapes, I don't remember how many skeins but suspect it was at least six. Bulky because I wanted a sweater that would fit an older child/14 year old. For some reason I convinced myself that lots of people would, as I had with the original Orphans for Orphans sweater, knit for the 8 to 10 year old group, leaving the 12 to 14 year olds in the lurch.

Needles: Addi Turbo's, US 11/5mm.

Adjustments to handle heavier (much heavier) yarn: Numerous, but I did a very bad job of keeping them straight. Some of them are scattered throughout the blog. Mostly they involved math to adjust stitch and row count to accommodate a gauge that had nothing to do with the original pattern. Also to place decreases, which were fewer because the row count was significantly lower.

Bottom line, though? I win.

* Excerpted from the poem "Cheers" by Eve Merriam (because April is National Poetry Month).

No comments: